“Working together for our Horticulture Industry”
The Horticulture Forum is an umbrella organisation that supports a stronger horticulture industry in Northern Ireland.
We encourage communication between all the horticulture sectors, sharing our issues and our expertise, and making effective joint representations to Government on behalf of the whole industry.
The Horticulture Forum has representatives from the commercial and amenity sectors including:
- Association of Landscape Contractors (ALCI)
- Growers NI
- UFU Vegetable Committee
- NI Fruit Growers Association (NIFGA)
- Fruit Industry Federation (FIF)
- Northern Ireland Flower and Foliage Association (NIFFA)
- Horticultural Trades Association (HTA)
- Northway Mushrooms
The committee also co-opts a number of individuals to ensure representation of all parts of our industry.
Secretarial support is provided by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).
Following a full review in 2013 the Forum agreed that its functions be widened to meet the current needs of the industry –
The Horticulture Forum:
- Represents the interests of the horticulture industry with public representatives, DAERA and other Executive Departments as appropriate;
- Has no statutory or regulatory role but operates as a consultative and advisory body for Executive Departments on cross sector horticultural issues;
- Acts as liaison and point of contact with the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board and other horticulture organisations outside of Northern Ireland;
- Promotes the industry and its contribution to the Northern Ireland economy; and
- Works with others to promote career opportunities and encourage young people to enter the industry.
The Horticulture Forum for Northern Ireland was first established in 2005 following a recommendation within the DARD Strategic Review of the Northern Ireland Commercial Horticulture Sector in 2002. The review recommended the creation of a small and dedicated horticulture representative body to focus on the needs of the entire industry and create a stronger lobbying body for horticulture with government.